Thursday 2 July 2015

Trains and Boats and Trams

Yes I know it doesn't quite scan, and there was only one boat and one train (apart from the one that held me up at a level crossing).

With no particular rush this morning I breakfasted and sorted everything out ready for departure (i.e. coiled up the mains cable and retrieved the pitch sign). The target for the day was the East Anglia Transport Museum, as I had plenty of time I set the SatNav to take a winding route. I usually like to find a ford on these routes, this time the voice said, "In 400 yards take ferry!" Reedham Ferry is quite famous on the Broads, as is the railway bridge from the other day. It cost £4 to cross, for all of about 50 yards but I guess wages and maintenance have to be paid. I filled in a bit of time on the journey wandering round a nature reserve as the museum doesn't open until about 12.

As such museums go it's quite a small one, readily visited in an afternoon. They had 2 trams and a trolley bus running, there's also a small narrow gauge railway with a Simplex diesel loco. On top of that there are static displays, including quite a variety of vehicles. The cafe is OK, I won't say much more than that. By the time I'd walked round a couple of times and ridden on everything the rain was starting to come down quite heavily so, pausing to complete their visitor survey, I did a runner for the caravan site.

By the time I got here, a few minutes later, the rain had eased again. This site is slightly odd as it's split in two. One part is adjacent to the beach, but that was full anyway (not that I was bothered). The rest is reasonably open, to be fair to the site I've gone on a non-awning pitch although I'd booked a full one (at the time I hadn't quite decided whether I'd want an awning this year). They're just the same except a bit smaller. The pitches either side were free but someone has subsequently filled one of them. It really doesn't bother me any which way, although they're making quite a performance of getting pitched.

I've got one visit planned for tomorrow but I'm going to reconsider that. It's quite a drive southwards so I could, depending on timings, leave it until Saturday on my way down to Essex. On the other hand Southwold is on the way so I could combine with a visit there - the Adnams stock is down to one bottle plus a bit in my glass, I suspect by this evening it will be non-existent.

No comments:

Post a Comment