Thursday 25 June 2015

Phew, What a Scorcher!

Today started off looking very nice weather wise, and by the time I'd got to Aylsham for the Bure Valley Railway it was getting very warm. This is apparently the longest 15" narrow gauge line in Norfolk - I guess there's not a lot of competition! Allegedly they can't make it any longer without stopping for a loo break (no toilets on the trains of course). If you'll believe that...

Strictly speaking, like the Wells and Walsingham, it's not a heritage railway but a tourist line built on the trackbed of a former standard gauge track. It's certainly very popular, and is probably a good way to visit Wroxham although the town itself is a few minutes walk from the station.

First thing I spotted on heading for the town was Wroxham Miniature Worlds. This is a new venture in a shop/warehouse unit which was supposed to open on February but apparently finally opened in May. It's not finished yet but it currently has various model railways already built and running and they're now starting on what they claim will be the largest OO-Gauge layout in the world. There's also a Scalextric track and some very good static displays of model buildings, dolls houses, etc. I understand they did want a large pool with radio controlled boats but were turned down due to the amount of water involved. To say it will be nice when it's finished is being churlish, a lot of time and money has been invested already.

I did have a quick wander round the town itself, and had a decent lunch. After last night it was tempting to have some decent Fish and Chips but I resisted. In the old days little old ladies in a tearoom would hand around photos of the grandchildren, now they hand around smartphones and tablets. I've got some snack stuff for this evening that really needs eating so a more substantial meal seemed a good idea. One sight was a crocodile of school kids all wearing buoyancy aids parading through the town - you don't see that every day! Must admit I was quite happy to get back to the station and sit in the relative peace for a while.

Unlike the engine I was running out of steam by the end so it was a straight run back to the site. It's cooled down a bit but I'm sat sitting outside the campervan with a beer and, shortly, the Kindle. It's my last night here at West Runton, tomorrow night I'll be at Thetford Forest. I'd certainly come here again but I'm pleased I found this relatively isolated pitch rather than end up on the open field area.

No comments:

Post a Comment