Sunday 21 June 2015

Dai 1 - Pigeon 0

I didn't get round to a blog post yesterday, after an afternoon and evening carousing with TOGs I ran out of steam! So here goes with a two day offering.

Saturday was a latish start by my standards as I didn't need to be in Lincolnshire until early afternoon. I finished packing everything in Dai then, after my overnight guests had left, departed around midday. It was a quick run over, with a brief stop to stretch my legs (this is a euphemism). The rest of the afternoon and evening were spent eating, drinking and generally being merry with friends. The hosts had kindly agreed to me pitching in their garden for the night which was handy, although as I'd actually been drinking low alcohol cider I was perfectly sober. I did run out of steam and had a relatively early night, inevitably that meant I was awake by 6 and ready to go before 7.

I snuck away quietly and treated myself to breakfast at the Little Chef before setting the satnav onto mild winding route setting to head to Reepham. I could have gone the quick way, straight down the A1 then across past Peterborough but I had plenty of time. The only unfortunate bit was that a pigeon flew right up in front of me, with no time to react it hit the windscreen with a heck of a Bang. After a quick walk round Reepham itself (it was shut) I headed down to Whitwell and Reepham station, my planned visit for the day. Eventually it will be a preserved railway, unfortunately at the moment it seems to be a catering establishment with an old station building and a bit of railway attached! To be fair they're concentrating on fund raising by any means possible at the moment but the "museum" display is virtually non-existent and in the end I decided not to hang about to pay £2 for a 5 minute ride. It does seem to attract cyclists and the local Mini owners club were there in force.

I then again took for the winding route to the caravan site at West Runton, the only problem being I was a bit early. Due to the narrow entrance road it's a 1pm earliest arrival, in theory to give the departures time to get away but there's always 1 - fortunately I met him where there was room for me to wait to let him past.  Before that though I headed down to the beach car park. I honestly can't remember how long out is since I last walked on the sand, probably nearly 5 years ago at Waterloo (the one in Liverpool where the nekkid men are). I also had a lovely cheese salad sandwich in the beach cafe - thick white bread, lashings of grated cheddar and loads of fresh salad.

There was a bit of a queue at the site to get booked in but the staff were very efficient so I was soon looking for a pitch. It's a bit of an odd site being built around a golf course. It's split almost into two halves, the first part is mainly a series of small terraces, some with a view of the sea. I found a nice secluded spot though in the woods, close enough to the facilities block and far enough from the main roadway. The second section of the site is much more open so I'm happy with where I am.

Ask that remained, after sorting out, was to polish off a couple of beers and wander down to the town to check out the pub. I only had one pint but it looks reasonable. It's a bit of a pull back up the hill to the site and the pitch but manageable. Then it was dinner and relaxation time. The mobile data signal is variable so I've decided to bite the bullet and subscribe to the Club WiFi. It's £25 for a year so not too unreasonable. The pitch also became even more secluded when the only other van actually on this bit left around 7pm. I can now only see one other unit.

I'm in two minds about the next couple of days. I've not got too much planned so one possibility is to walk down to the station and her a train to Norwich for the day. I'll see how I feel in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment