Monday 22 June 2015

A Rainy Day in Norfolk...

Doesn't have quite the same ring as A Rainy Night in Georgia but never mind.

One advantage of walking up fairly early on caravan sites is there's no queue for the showers. That dealt with and a sausage butty for breakfast eaten I headed off to Wells-Next-the-Sea. I was fortunate in finding space in a free car park at the top of the town, especially since I couldn't park in the harbour area (no campervans) and the beach would have cost £10, unless I got away with the car rate of a fiver. I had a good wander round and was tempted by a print of a steam loco in a bookshop (it had belonged to the owner's father-in-law) but it was framed and there's no way I could carry it around for the next two weeks.

The weather was quite good right up until, after a coffee and some carrot cake, I was wandering back towards the car. The heavens opened and stupidly I'd left the umbrella in Dai. I didn't get too wet fortunately by rushing back. Of course the rain promptly stopped as I got in to drive round to the Wells and Walsingham Light Railway. At 4 miles long it's the longest stretch of 10 1/4" gauge railway in the world. The locos are two 2-6-0 + 0-6-2 Garrats, Norfolk Hero and Norfolk Heroine. Today it was the latter (sub-named Edith Cavell). There's not much view for much of the time as the line is in a cutting but it's pleasant enough and the crew were very friendly and helpful, one lady had lost her hat on the way up so the driver slowed so it could be retrieved on the way back then, when the train started again, they stopped completely to let the people in the open carriages get under cover.

As I hadn't got out there I subsequently drive up to Walsingham for a quick look round before starting to wend my way back to site. I noticed an odd looking Church so decided to have a quick look. Binham Priory is quite odd, although dissolved by Henry VIII the church had continued to be used by the Parish. That's quite common but in the case is amongst, and still attached to, the ruins of the rest of the Benedictine buildings. Inevitably the rain had started again but with the aid of my umbrella I did get a look round.

The last call of the day was to Holt for another look around. I stocked up on fresh meat whilst I was there, including a pork steak for tonight's dinner. I may well shop there again when I do the North Norfolk Railway.
Tomorrow I'm planning on visiting The Muckleburgh Military Collection which I spotted today then the Thursford Collection of steam engines. I wasn't certain on visiting the latter but I'll see if I can combine the two.

My apologies by the way for the lack of photos. The pics are on the phone but it's easier to type on the tablet, also the phone signal is very variable but the WiFi only supports the one device. You'll have to wait until I get home and sort the website out, although that may be a while.

2 comments:

  1. In Holt there is an amazing butcher that sells game. you don't just buy 'duck', you buy widgeon, mallard, teal, etc,
    As Wroxham seems to be based around the Roy family, Holt seems to rely heavily on Bakers and Larner - there is a department store, a deli, a Budgens franchise, a furniture shop and an estate agent.
    And did you find the Adnams Cellar and Kitchen shop near the Post Office. It used to be a pub, but sells a range of Adnams products, including their own spirits and Adnams 'souvenirs'. One of the spirits is 'Spirit of Broadside', which they describe as "An 'eau de vie de biere' made from Broadside and matured in heavily toasted Russian Oak casks for 12 months."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I had noticed both the butcher and Adnams. Plan is to drive up to Holt tomorrow then get the train back to Sheringham. Once I've walled round there I'll return up the line and do some shipping in Holt.

      Delete