Wednesday 24 June 2015

A Brief Encounter

Having looked at the train times from Holt I decided to amend my plans and go shopping first as the earliest steam train wasn't until 11:15. I'd had venison sausages (told you I'd found the butchers, Dave) for breakfast today so I settled on Norfolk ones for later in the week, some more bacon and a nice piece of rump steak. I also procured a loaf of bread and 8 bottles of Adnams Sole Star, only 2.7% but a pleasant summer drink.

After I'd taken a few pics around Holt Station, visited the model railway and had a coffee, I boarded the train, only to meet a couple that I'd been talking to on the Wells and Walsingham a couple of days ago! They'd come up from Sheringham so we only had time for a brief hello. If I see them tomorrow on the Bure Valley I'll suspect stalking. The train quickly filled up so I didn't get a compartment to myself.

The North Norfolk, or The Poppy Line as it's styled, is fairly typical of preserved railways. The engine was a BR Standard Class 4, the coaches a mixture of corridor and open stock. Everyone was very friendly and knowledgeable, even the chap in the buffet took time to help someone planning a visit with disabled children, and knew whether it would be possible (there may be issues with the stock that will be running that week). It's not a long run down to Sheringham but there's a reasonable view for much of the way. I did note as we went through Weybourne station that it would repay a visit.

Rather than return straight away I took the time to have a wander through Sheringham. Typical seaside tourist place really (didn't expect much else) so I had an ice cream, I think it's compulsory isn't it? I then strolled back up the the station buffet for lunch which was quite pleasant. As I was finishing I was joined at the table by an elderly gentleman, actually there were 2 of them plus their minders. One of the carers did check it was OK, I was just finishing up anyway so by the time they'd sorted out the order I'd finished my coffee and said, "Cheerio!"

As is often the case there was a bit of a wait for the next train back but at least it was quite quiet. I think a lot of people had caught the first train from Holt and were spending the day in Sheringham. This time I got out at Weybourne for a look round there, and of course yet more photos! The model railway was nothing particularly special but it's always interesting to see other efforts. Getting out did give me a chance to get more photos of the steam hauled train, as is often the case I got chatting to another photographer, although he's moved over to video now. I'm not convinced it's for me though - it takes long enough to sort through still photos without having hours of video to edit.

I finished the journey back by diesel railcar, just for a change. One annoyance was that the museum at Holt Station was closed when I got back there, at 2:30pm. It would have been useful if there'd been a notice to that effect in the morning as I'd have looked round then. I'm heading in the opposite direction tomorrow so won't get another opportunity.

Having got back to site I decided it was time for a bit of housework, 5 minutes of running the 12v hoover over the floors. It's not brilliant but it takes the thick off! Tonight was fish and chip van night so I wandered down to the entrance for the advertised 17:30 only to find they'd obviously been serving fur quite a while. There was also no indication that you had to order and pay then join the queue. Having figured that out there was quite a long wait and frankly I wished I'd gone with plan B and had F&C in Sheringham for lunch and a snack for tea. They were OK but it's a bit of a hike back to the camper so they weren't overly hot.

Now sat sitting with one of the bottles of Adnams, listening to the bird song, dogs barking and the horn from the F&C van which has now arrived on the next door campsite!

No comments:

Post a Comment